(1) RACE AS RAZA
When used in reference to a person’s lineage or genetic group, we translate “race” as “raza”:
- Las prácticas culturales varían notablemente entre las personas de diferentes razas. Cultural practices vary greatly among people belonging to different races.
- En Nueva York viven personas de muchas razas, culturas y religiones; es una ciudad muy cosmopólita. In New York there are people of many races, cultures, and religions; it’s a very cosmopolitan city.
(2) RACE AS CARRERA
When we use this term to refer to a sport event where rivals try to reach a goal as fast as possible, we translate “race” as “carerra”.
- Ganó la carrera y quebró el récord olímpico. He won the race and broke the Olympic record.
- El Indy 500 es una carrera de automovilismo muy popular. The Indy 500 is a highly-popular automobile race.
(3) RACE AS CARRERA (Figurative use)
The word race can also refer to a competition between two political parties, be it within one nation or at an international level. In these cases, “race” is once again translated as “carrera”:
- La carrera hacia la Casa Blanca va a ser muy emocionante el próximo año. The race for the White House is going to be very exciting next year.
- La carrera armamentista fue una de las características principales de la Guerra Fría. The arms race was one the main characteristics of the Cold War.
R E A D Y T O L E A R N ?
If you are looking to learn Spanish quickly or you want to find the best way to learn to speak Spanish, at Easy Español we can help you with the best program to learn Spanish. Whether you are a total beginner or have some previous knowledge, you will notice immediate progress with the quickest way to learn Spanish.
No matter your goal, learning Spanish will be easier than ever with one of our intensive online Spanish courses, whether you want to learn Spanish in 30 days or in 3 months. You will discover a unique method of live Spanish classes online with the easiest way to learn Spanish to speak Spanish fluently once and for all.