You’ve probably heard the term ‘booster’ a lot lately in connection to the COVID vaccine, but do you know the Spanish equivalent of this term in this and other contexts?
Unlike other terms we’ve discussed in previous posts, ‘booster’ doesn’t have a one-term equivalent. We usually need a phrase that describes what a particular type of ‘booster’ does. Let’s take a look!
1) Booster as Dosis de refuerzo:
In the field of health and medicine, we often talk about ‘booster shots’ when discussing an extra dose of a medicine given to reinforce and maintain the effects of a previous dose. In Spanish, we use the term “dosis de refuerzo” o “dosis adicional”:
- Las autoridades médicas están evaluando el uso de una dosis de refuerzo para las personas más vulnerables al virus COVID.
- The medical authorities are assessing the use of a booster shot on people who are most vulnerable to the COVID virus.
2) Booster as Elevador de potencia:
In the electrical field, we often need a piece of equipment to help boost up the power (potencia), tension (tensión) or voltage (voltaje) of something else. In Spanish this is known as “elevador de potencia/tensión/voltaje”.
- Necesitamos un nuevo elevador de voltaje para la casa; el viejo no es suficiente para todos los electrodomésticos nuevos.
- We need a new voltage booster for the house; the old one is not enough to power all the new appliances.
3) Booster as Intensificador de señal:
In the field of radiocommunications, the piece of equipment needed to boost up a signal is known in Spanish as “intensificador de señal”.
- Recientemente colocaron un intensificador de señal sobre aquella montaña para tener mejor recepción en el parque.
- They recently placed a booster up on that mountain to have a better reception at the park.
Activities for students & members:
This content is locked
Login To Unlock The Content!
R E A D Y T O L E A R N ?
If you are looking to learn Spanish quickly or you want to find the best way to learn to speak Spanish, at Easy Español we can help you with the best program to learn Spanish. Whether you are a total beginner or have some previous knowledge, you will notice immediate progress with the quickest way to learn Spanish.
No matter your goal, learning Spanish will be easier than ever with one of our intensive online Spanish courses, whether you want to learn Spanish in 30 days or in 3 months. You will discover a unique method of live Spanish classes online with the easiest way to learn Spanish to speak Spanish fluently once and for all.